RE: [Xen-devel] Instability with Xen, interrupt routing frozen, HPET broadcast

Andreas Kinzler wrote:
> On 30.09.2010 07:00, Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
>> Maybe you can disable pirq_set_affinity to have a try with the
>> following patch.
>  > It may trigger IRQ migration in hypervisor, and the IRQ migration
> logic about(especailly shared)
>  > level-triggered ioapic IRQ is not well tested because of
>  > no users before. After intoducing the pirq_set_affinity in
>  > #Cset21625, the logic is used frequently when vcpu migration occurs
>
> I am using Xen 4.0.1 which is c/s 21324 so I should not be affected?

Which Cset is adopted when you collected the suspecious 'irr=1' log ? Xen-4.0.1
or 22068 ?
In addition, did you always see the above strange log for every hang?  You
know,  IRQ 16 is assigned with a relatively big vector 216, if it is not
correctly acked, the other interrupt source will be masked automatically, so
the dom0 maybe go hang.  Another try is to hack assign_irq_vector to allocate a
small vector for IRQ16, and when the aacraid controller has something wrong,
you stilll have a chance to logon to dom0 to get more information.  Besides,
could you enable MSI for accraid controller to have a try ?

>  > Besides, there is a bug in event driver which is fixed in latest
>  > pv_ops dom0, seems the dom0 you are using doesn't include the fix.
>  > This bug may result in lost event in dom0 and invoke dom0
>  > hang eventually.
>
> Hmm, this really does not explain why everything is rock solid after
> disabling HPET broadcast? And the problem occured with every kernel
> (xenfied, pvops, all versions). Please correct me if I am wrong

Just guess hpet broadcase maybe not the real killer, and it just exposes the
bug accidentally according to the log you attached.

>  > To workaround this bug,  you can disable irqbalance in dom0. Good
> luck!
>
> As far as I know I am not using irq balancing (certainly not using the
> irqbalance daemon).
Okay.
Xiantao