Re: [Xen-devel] Where can I get a balloon driver to test PoD

  • To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:12:15 +0100
  • Cc: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:12:47 -0700

Yunhong:

When I originally developed the balloon drivers about a year ago, it
was possible to compile PV drivers externally, from
xen.hg/unmodified_drivers/linux-2.6 using Debian's stock kernel.
However, since that time, things have changed and I haven't been able
to.

The system I'm using now actually uses one of Stefano Stabellini's
"pv-on-hvm" trees.  It's a bit experimental, but stable enough, and
the balloon driver seems to be working.  He's on holiday now, but you
can cc him and ask.

Another option would be to use a Windows guest, with either the XCP or
the OSS Windows drivers.  (Not sure of the OSS Windows drivers have
ballooning, but the XCP ones do.)

I have a stack of patches from XenServer to push upstream to
-unstable, but I haven't had time to test them yet, due to
higher-priority things coming in.  Let me know how it goes.

 -George