Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: python SR plugin questions

Sure.

Here's a sample vdi_create call:

<methodCall>
  <methodName>vdi_create</methodName>
  <params>
    <param>
      <value>
        <struct>
          <member>
            <name>host_ref</name>
            <value>OpaqueRef:1a69645b-8981-b076-3439-ae40715168cb</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>command</name>
            <value>vdi_create</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>args</name>
            <value>
              <array>
                <data>
                  <value>104857600</value>
                </data>
              </array>
            </value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>device_config</name>
            <value>
              <struct>
                <member>
                  <name>SRmaster</name>
                  <value>true</value>
                </member>
                <member>
                  <name>device</name>
                  <value>/dev/sda3</value>
                </member>
              </struct>
            </value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>session_ref</name>
            <value>OpaqueRef:bb4ba642-1427-513d-f398-d07a07b56157</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>sr_ref</name>
            <value>OpaqueRef:2fa93049-ee45-284c-e657-067e0c181789</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>sr_uuid</name>
            <value>668da5be-32e8-1fac-6d1f-7590e2fa1c09</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>vdi_sm_config</name>
            <value>
              <struct/>
            </value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>subtask_of</name>
            <value>OpaqueRef:cb7e281b-8430-1979-e36a-5dd17dab5c72</value>
          </member>
        </struct>
      </value>
    </param>
  </params>
</methodCall>

There is only a sr_uuid here, and no vdi_uuid at all.

The way it works is:

1. Xapi receives a VDI.create XenAPI call
2. Xapi checks the SR, figures out which host should do the operation, checks
it has its PBD attached and various other checks
3. On the host in question, Xapi calls out to the SM backend to do a vdi_create
operation. It only tells the SM backend the size of the disk and the
'sm_config' map.
4. The SM backend creates the actual object - a vhd, or an ISO, or an LVM
partition or whatever
5. The SM backend then introduces a VDI record using the XenAPI call
'VDI.db_introduce' - this API call takes a uuid which was made up by the SM
backend. Xapi ensures that the uuid is globally unique and that the location
field is unique within the SR.
6. The SM backend returns control to Xapi, returning a small structure
containing the uuid that it has just made up as well as the location.
7. Xapi looks up the VDI by uuid, and then overwrites several of the fields
(including name_label) with the parameters of the XenAPI VDI.create call (from
step 1).
8. The VDI.create call finishes, returning the reference of the VDI object.

On all subsequent calls to the backend associated with this VDI (vdi_attach,
vdi_clone, etc.), Xapi will always pass in the reference, uuid and location of
the VDI:

          <member>
            <name>vdi_ref</name>
            <value>OpaqueRef:67b70c91-8d6d-7c09-2a68-21aa5b3e3d07</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>vdi_location</name>
            <value>f6397206-9dcb-f649-f893-a54de0ec60e4</value>
          </member>
          <member>
            <name>vdi_uuid</name>
            <value>1399962e-76d1-9303-86e5-98ae75708116</value>
          </member>

The idea is that the location field is used to identify which VDI xapi is
talking about. For you, in the vdi_create call, the _db_introduce function
would create
the VDI record with your 32 bit id in the location field. All subsequent calls
about that VDI will contain that location field as well as the VDI's uuid, so
the uuid isn't
really important as far as your backend is concerned - all you need is the
location to identify your VDI. You *could* base the uuid of the VDI on your 32
bit id, but it's not necessary.

Hope this helps,

Jon