Re: [Xen-devel] network (irq?) problems in unstable

On 30 May 2005, at 13:52, Gerd Knorr wrote:

With xen unstable I have the problem that the network stops
working after a while.  Heavy network traffic seems to make it
more likely, it triggers almost every time I try to untar a
kernel source tree, where the tarball comes from a NFS-mounted
volume.

The network card doesn't receive interrupts any more according
to /proc/interrupts.  It works fine in native linux and also
with xen 2.0.  It's a tulip card.  Anyone has an idea what this
might be or where to look?

The new IRQ code in unstable is not so well tested on non-ACPI and non-IOAPIC systems (most of our boxes are SMP servers). May be worth looking at boot-time output of Xen vs. native Linux. Also, particularly if you have a null modem cable attached, add tracing on a debug key to see what Xen thinks the status of each IRQ line is (disabled, in_progress, etc.). Managing IRQ lines via legacy PIC is pretty straightforward so this can't really be that hard a bug to fix I think (hope). :-)

 -- Keir