Re: [Xen-API] User Based Access Control

RBAC on XAPI is cool but it's doesn't work between pools (by
definition, scoped by XAPI itself).

That's why indeed there is multiples solutions as explained in the
- RBAC in XAPI for people wanting ACLs but in one pool only (if the VM
is migrated on another pool you need to duplicate ACLs on this pool
too. Not very convenient!)
- ACLs in multiples pools but without having to install agents on each
hosts and without advanced features (like billing for CPU usage, etc):
Xen Orchestra
- "Advanced" ACLs for bigger infrastructure and/or advanced cases: CloudStack

There is no silver bullet for any situations.

But as far I can tell, on my side I met a LOT of people asking for
ACLs in Xen Orchestra (hey! that's the main reason we are implementing
it after all!). Our "usual" user asks for keeping the simplicity of XO
(nothing to install on hosts, just a XAPI compatible software) with
the possibility to "delegate" objects in few clicks. For sure, we'll
do our best to deliver soon, and connecting this stuff to a AD/Open
LDAP is also a priority.

And yes, exactly Thomas: XO act like a kind of "proxy" (exactly, it's
the "xo-server" module) and that's exactly where ACLs are. You get a
better picture with this:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vatesfr/xo/master/doc/architecture/assets/xo-arch.jpg