Re: [Xen-API] VDI import/export with deltas

Hi Mate,

On 29 Aug 2014, at 09:58, Mate Lakat <mate.lakat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happy to see a prototype for import/export. It seems that this discussion
> is generating a lot of traffic - do we plan to have some sort of design
> session about it? I believe the storage team and the stackers would love to
> be involved in these sessions.
> We also had a discussion which might be releated:
> https://lists.xenserver.org/sympa/arc/xs-devel/2013-08/thrd2.html#00059

We did, thanks for the pointer.

I’ve also done a survey of import/export code in xapi:

http://wiki.xensource.com/wiki/Disk_import/export

The prototype is basically ‘what we already have’: the code was all written for
various other purposes (e.g. storage motion and CloudStack integration) and all
I did was to fill in a few missing gaps and add CLI commands on top of existing
APIs.

> I think the idea of a filesystem interface is very good, however given that
> the filesystem must provide a consistent view and transactions, as other
> processes might manipulate files (GC), I think for the moment, let's try to
> do a bit narrower interface.

I’m definitely in favour of a narrow interface :-)
At the moment our interface is far too wide and exposes far too much (not
interesting but still important) internal details.

> I also wanted to raise the content ID question - would be nice to generate a
> content id during the export, and mark it as dirty whenever it has changed,
> so that the client would know that she should not expect a consistent output.

That would be good. One of the things the current code can’t do — but that I’m
sure we discussed before — is to support resumable downloads.

Thanks,
Dave