Re: [Xen-API] Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project

On 15 May 2014, at 11:32, Jon Ludlam <jonathan.ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15/05/14 10:19, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's
>> slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in such a
>> big sweep without at least some discussion about how this affects the
>> overall project direction.
> The thing is, this isn't a change in committers in reality - it's
> replacing a wrong list of committers with a more accurate one.

Ack; that makes sense.

>> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to
>> see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline
>> of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to
>> improve.
>
> I think this is a good idea in any case. So, to kick things off, here's
> where I stand:
>
> I have worked on xapi since 2006, well before it was an open source
> project. I've done all sorts of things on it in that time, from work on
> the storage interface (in particular working on storage migration), the
> events mechanism, the CLI, and other bits and pieces.
>
> What I'm aiming to focus on now is to continue the efforts to take the
> xapi project from being something that only builds and works well in a
> XenServer context to being something that works well wherever you run
> it. We've made enormous progress already on this front, but there is
> more to be done! I'd be very keen to work with anyone who wants to get
> it working on their favourite distro :-)

I'm particularly interested in getting a Xapi instance running as a stable
package in OPAM.  This would make it much easier to experiment with the
codebase in a VM in particular.

Dave and I are mentoring a GSoC student on the topic of cloud APIs, but
spending most of her time on getting Xapi installed wouldn't be productive,
hence the desire for this.  If the OCaml xml-rpc bindings work from
OPAM too, that would be a very nice place to start.

best,
Anil