Re: [Xen-API] Centralizing XVA repository

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Alex Brett <Alex.Brett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Is there any reason you don't just use the built in template support - i.e. import your XVA once and convert it to a template, which you can then clone VMs from?

To Import any XVA I think we need to have it locally present on host filesystem. I cant use any remote urls with xe.
e.g xe vm-import url="" href="http://xs.org/centos.xva">http://xs.org/centos.xva"

A script can surely be made to do this since its done by cloudstack and openstack. ( Download first and import automatically )
Openstack has good example based on glance, I'll try to convert it to simple http.

> Currently downloading xva on host and then giving import to local SR is
> manual, so is there a way to automate it with single api call ?

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing at the moment, but you can certainly do a VM / template import as a single API call. The other thing to note is you can use the 'xe' CLI off-host, and therefore just do an e.g. "xe -s <ip> -u root -pw <password> vm-import filename=<file.xva>" from another host.

xe from remote host could solve what I need. Thanks for heads up.

Kind Regards,
Alex Brett