[Xen-API] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS + XCP-XAPI dom0_mem not obeyed

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brian Menges <bmenges@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 19:07:48 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 19:08:08 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=january; d=gogrid.com; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Thread-Topic:Thread-Index:Date:Message-ID:References:In-Reply-To:Accept-Language:Content-Language:X-MS-Has-Attach:X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:x-originating-ip:Content-Type:MIME-Version; b=WpLoibtoBGBF1nkZNu+fN8EHsvUPLQG7oBUEBjKBmMubxTD4wIL0wWX2gyWysiITc2WNdZub3XIRXWFSEyXWSRNTQvO7M+Ij9UmvK8q/OawVFtbFROZtSpGQ+uNt9MpR;

Iâve been fighting this for some time now, trying to get xen up and running so I can virtualize an old windows box and stuff it in my high-memory Linux system, but for the life of me I cannot get this thing to obey dom0_mem.

Iâve edited /etc/default/grub and ran sudo update-grub several times with differing settings, but it refuses to pick up the settings it appears. Hereâs my default grub file:

GRUB_DEFAULT="Xen 4.1-amd64"

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=10

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="apparmor=0"

GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="dom0_mem=4096M,max:4096M dom0_max_vcpus=2 com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga"

Am I missing something here? I can never get the memory I want out of these settingsâ itâs as if the kernel is completely ignoring them. Iâve tried with/without the max segment, and all sorts of searches have turned up nothing. Are there XAPI settings too? I thought that /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp wasnât in play with XAPI, but I could modify that!

Uhâ sore forehead, anyone care to help me out here so I can issue the correct face palm to myselfâ I have to be missing something.

- Brian Menges

Principal Engineer, DevOps

GoGrid | ServePath | ColoServe | UpStream Networks

The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain confidential and legally privileged material. It is solely for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or action taken in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.