Re: [Xen-API] PCI passthrough - XCP vs XenServer

  • To: Xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Phill Edwards <philledwards@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 21:20:23 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 11:20:35 +0000

On 4 July 2013 09:12, Phill Edwards <philledwards@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Another thing to try is hotplugging the PCI devices into the VM with "xl
>> pci-attach" in domain0.
>
> Thanks Dave. I have actually already tried that, and although dom0
> thinks both are assigned, the VM still only shows one.
>
> I haven't tried your other suggestion yet which was to see if a power
> off rather than reboot may fix things so I'll see if that helps.

The power off function didn't help. It looks like it's not going to be
possible to use these DVB-T cards in PCU passthrough mode. I didn't
want to turn my back on XenServer/XCP, partricularly now that
XenServer has gone open source, but the fact is that I can pass these
PCI cards through really easily in VMware's ESXi so that's where I'm
heading.

Perhaps when XenServer's PCI passthrough capabilities get better I'll
come back, but in the meantime XenServer/XCP are out for me :(