Re: [Xen-API] Private network and gre tunnel problem

  • To: Jan Škoda <lefty@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rob Hoes <Rob.Hoes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:31:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 09:31:29 +0000

Hello Jan,

A "private network" is a network without any PIFs on it, and is restricted to a
single host. You can create such a network by calling only 'xe network-create',
as you would have done. Xapi raises the exception you saw, because it assumed
that your two VMs are supposed to be on the same network, but there is no
physical network connection between the two hosts (no PIFs on the network).

You can fix this by using the 'xe tunnel-create' command on both hosts to
create a link between your private network and your PIFs. This tells xapi that
there is a tunnel connection between the two hosts. Xapi does not create the
actual GRE tunnel for you, so you still need to manually create actual GRE
tunnel ports on the OVS, but it looks like you already know how to do that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob