Re: [Xen-API] lacp network bonding not using all NICs

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ben Pfaff <blp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:36:53 -0700
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:3xsAOLuxuDTQPGCb5P9p8yY6ZDg=
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 04:37:28 +0000

Carlos Reategui <creategui@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> According to ovs:
> # ovs-appctl bond/show bond1
> bond_mode: balance-tcp
> bond-hash-algorithm: balance-tcp
> bond-hash-basis: 0
> updelay: 31000 ms
> downdelay: 200 ms
> next rebalance: 709579 ms
> lacp_negotiated: true
>
> slave eth1: enabled
> Â Â Â Â active slave
> Â Â Â Â may_enable: true
> Â Â Â Â hash 0: 0 kB load
> Â Â Â Â hash 81: 1382 kB load
> Â Â Â Â hash 85: 2419 kB load
> Â Â Â Â hash 157: 0 kB load
> Â Â Â Â hash 189: 2378 kB load
> Â Â Â Â hash 253: 0 kB load
>
> slave eth0: enabled
> Â Â Â Â may_enable: true
> Â Â Â Â hash 89: 0 kB load
> Â Â Â Â hash 222: 4069129 kB load
>
> So as you can see all my traffic is going out a single NIC. ÂIs there a
> different bond-hash-algorithm I should use?

It looks like you only have a few flows, with one of those flows
having dramatically more traffic than the rest.  If that's true,
then I don't know how OVS could do better.  It looks like it's
doing the best job it can: put the big flow on one NIC and the
rest on the other NIC.