Re: [Xen-API] Xenserver 6.1 hotfixes for XCP 1.6

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brian Menges <bmenges@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:56:51 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:57:31 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=january; d=gogrid.com; h=Received:Received:From:To:Date:Subject:Thread-Topic:Thread-Index:Message-ID:References:In-Reply-To:Accept-Language:Content-Language:X-MS-Has-Attach:X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:acceptlanguage:Content-Type:MIME-Version; b=XpMtJJQS1dzP3vjx91a2/RLWEO808R0l9NIOppIz6O7rH/lMnot0NnJ/9QWEARm3FvecZqBBn6T3FNGOnjhcoBaxrXv7yu4r6C6ULw9tyAb6FPMA7epweSL0nds0S28g;

XCP updates should be available via the following:

# yum --enablerepo xcp --nogpgcheck update

The following file should be on your system, if it is not please create it

# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/

CentOS-Base.repo       CentOS-Media.repo      xcp.repo

CentOS-Debuginfo.repo  CentOS-Vault.repo

[root@xs-03 ~]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/xcp.repo

[xcp]

name=XCP 1.6 Updates

baseurl=http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/repo/xcp-1.6.10/

enabled=0

There’s currently one patch in that rep at the moment. Generally speaking I would say not to patch XCP from the XenServer release except in cases of critical security issues… which should (hopefully) be in this repo in the future. From what I understand, they’re trying to get better about it.

If it were XCP1.1, I would say you’re OK installing patches from 5.6 series, and there are instructions on how to decrypt and apply the patch manually through rpm. This process is as follows:

1.       Download the zip

2.       Unzip it

3.  Unencrypt and verify it:
# gpg –nomedir /opt/xensource/gpg/ --no-default-keyring –keyring /opt/xensource/gpg/pubring.gpg –decrypt XS56XXXXXXXX.xsupdate | dd s=4k skip=1 | tar xv

4.  The result will be a bunch of files, and the fix’s RPM file

5.  Upgrade using rpm:
# rpm –U <rpm file>

It should be noted that these instructions are dated, and are not recommended for 1.6.x. I highly recommend sticking to the XCP repo update path.

- Brian Menges

Principal Engineer, DevOps

GoGrid | ServePath | ColoServe | UpStream Networks