[Xen-API] Xenserver 6.1 hotfixes for XCP 1.6

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Edwards, Nick, Vodafone Group" <Nick.Edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:56:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:56:48 +0000

Hi,

I am running XCP 1.6.10 (61809c) and I have been looking at installing hotfixes as there do not appear to many if any that are available for XCP 1.6.

I have been looking into this and as some of you I’m sure have already discovered it is not possible to install Xenserver 6.1 hotfixes on XCP. I was receiving the following from the cli when trying to apply an uploaded fix:

[root@xen2 ~]# xe -s localhost -u root -pw password patch-pool-apply uuid=89699bc9-fb15-49e9-9d7b-05e0eb49114d

The uploaded patch file is invalid.  See attached log for more details.

log: Could not find element %s

It turns out the problem was caused by the wrong server version:

[root@xen2 ~]# gpg --homedir /opt/xensource/gpg/ --no-default-keyring --keyring /opt/xensource/gpg/pubring.gpg --output hotfix.unsigned --decrypt <XSUPDATE.the_filename>

[root@xen2 ~]# sh hotfix.unsigned precheck

<error errorcode="PATCH_PRECHECK_FAILED_WRONG_SERVER_VERSION">

    <found></found>

    <required>^6\.1\.0$</required>

</error>

Makes sense of course as this is XCP. I then added the following line to /etc/xensource-inventory:

PRODUCT_VERSION='6.1.0'

After adding this I am able to get the hotfixes to install no problem.

This is all good, however I would like to know whether this is a good idea or not? If it will cause problems elsewhere and also if the Xenserver 6.1 updates could also cause certain incompatibilities etc? As I understand things the builds are very similar and coming from the same source tree (I might be wrong here).

Advice and thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks,

Nick