Re: [Xen-API] Guests running slowly after restart?

> Hi dswartz,
>
>> Hopefully this is the right list for this, if not my apologies.  Anyway,
>> am running XCP 1.6 on a xeon e3-1230 with 24MB RAM.  A handful of
>> guests,
>> all but one of which are HVM (mainly because of lack of a good tool to
>> PV
>> such guests) previously running under KVM.  One is windows 7 the others
>> various flavors of linux.  Anyway, I rebooted one of the guests (Astaro
>> Security Gateway) after an update.  It started booting, but very very
>> slowly.  Took almost 10 minutes to get a login prompt, when it usually
>> takes less than a minutes.  Once I was in, 'w' revealed a load factor of
>> 8
>> or so, which was increasing as I was watching.  It wasn't (obviously)
>> paging, and oddly, xencenter claimed the guest was using 3% of 1 vCPU.
>> ended up having to reboot the host at which point all was well.  The
>> same
>> thing happened about 12 hours later, at which point I tried restarting 2
>> of the other linux guests and saw the exact same behavior, so it wasn't
>> just ASG.  Again, a reboot 'fixed' this.  I have limited data points
>> here,
>> but the problem seems to occur when (after some unknown amount of time),
>> try to restart a guest.  Note that prior to restarting them, the guests
>> seem to be running just fine.  I am relatively new to Xen, so any clues
>> would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Could you check that iowait (the %wa in top) is not the culprit? That
> could explain that cpu consumption was low.

On the host you mean?

> Not having PV drivers have a huge impact on disk and network io. CPU and
> mem will be fine, but if you have some process that have heavy io
> pattern, they can be brought to a crawl.

(snip)

Thanks for the suggestions.  All the guests are running new kernels which
detect the presence of xen and all guests are running xentools.  This is
not a heavy I/O thing, as everything is working fine in the guests until I
reboot them, then they run very very slowly and nothing seems to fix this
but a host reboot :(