Re: [Xen-API] how to compile XCP source?

On 05/03/13 00:47, James Bulpin wrote:
Any idea why we do that? Is it a legacy of the read-only rootfs of OEM edition
(where python wouldn't be able to write the pyc on first execution)?

I think it's standard python packaging practice. I just checked the Fedora guidelines, which say:

- *.pyc and *.pyo byte compiled files
-- python will try to create them at runtime if they don't exist
   which leads to spurious SELinux AVC denials in the logs
-- If the system administrator invokes python with -OO, .pyos will
   be created with no docstrings. This can break some programs.
-- If the pyc files aren't installed in the rpm, and they're
   created at runtime, removing the rpm will leave the pyc files.

And now that I've read a little further in that wiki page [1], it seems that rpmbuild *should* compile these pyc files for us, using the /usr/lib/rpm/brp-python-bytecompile script. George, is this script installed on your system? Can you read through that wiki section [1] to see if there's anything missing on your system?

Mike

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Byte_compiling