Re: [Xen-API] Anyway to migrate my VM from Xen xl to XCP?

  • To: Lingfeng Xiong <jilingshu@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: James Bulpin <James.Bulpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:32:47 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:32:05 +0000

One way would be to, for each VM:

1.       Convert each qcow2 file to a raw file using qcow2raw â put these files somewhere (e.g. a NFS export) where you can temporarily reach them from XCPâs domain0

2.       Using XCP âinstallâ a VM using the most suitable template but not actually starting the VM or going through the install. Make sure to choose virtual disk sizes at least as big as the virtual size of the original qcow2 ones. Set virtual NIC MAC addresses to match your xl VM. ÂFor PV youâll need to trick XCP into thinking youâve completed the install by

a.       changing PV-bootloader to pygrub (xe vm-param-set uuid=<vmuuid> PV-bootloader=pygrub)

b.      making the first VBD bootable (xe vbd-param-set uuid=$(xe vbd-list vm-uuid=<vmuuid> userdevice=0 --minimal) bootable=true)

c.       making the virtual CD drive (if present) not bootable: (xe vbd-param-set uuid=$(xe vbd-list vm-uuid=<vmuuid> type=CD --minimal) bootable=false)

3.       One by one attach the VMâs virtual disks to dom0 â my preferred way is to:

a.       Find the VDIâs UUID by using âxe vm-disk-list uuid=<vmuuid>â â look for e.g. âDisk 0 VDIâ

b.      Run â/opt/xensource/debug/with-vdi <vdiuuid>â â this attaches the VDI to dom0 as /dev/$DEVICE and drops you into a shell â exiting this shell will detach the VDI

4.       Use /opt/xensource/libexec/sparse_dd to dd the contents of the raw file (from step 1) to the VDI.

a.       E.g. /opt/xensource/libexec/sparse_dd -src /mnt/MyVM.img -dest /dev/$DEVICE -size 8589934592 -prezeroed

5.       Exit the âwith-vdiâ shell

Iâve tried this for a xl PV VM I have and it worked (I started from raw image rather than qcow2 so skipped step 1). My test also differs in that root is on xvda1 however your case should be fine â IIRC pygrub is OK with root on the raw device.

Cheers,

James