Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Beta: running domains on slave not displayed following master reboot

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Rushikesh Jadhav <2rushikeshj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Black Bird <blackbird1758@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all

I've noticed a strange behaviour with my XCP 1.6 Beta 2 pool.

XCP 1.6 Beta 4 is out and is advised to use. Its easy to upgrade.

I had just upgraded from 1.1 and was still getting used to the new 1.6B2, so was holding off a further upgrade.  But I will.

I usually start with a single master with 3 guests.  I subsequently bring up a slave and migrate the guests to the slave (one HVM shutdown-start and two others PV live migrate).  So far so good.  I can see the guests have come up on the slave's xsconsole.

Do you mean XenCenter by slave's xsconsole or the "xsconsole" command fired on slave terminal ?

The latter.

Then I reboot the master.  A short while after the master comes up, the guests disappear from the slave's xsconsole, in the 'VMs running on this host' screen.  Also no VMs can be listed using xsconsole.  However, from the command line, xe vm-list provides a list of VMs.

Whats the powerstate mentioned in xe vm-list ? Is it in sync with their power state before you reboot master ?

Yes the powerstate in xe vm-list before and after the master reboot is accurate, on both master and slave.

The situation is rectified by stopping and starting xsconsole, when the running VMs are listed on the slave.

Seems like xsconsole can not re-establish communication with master until restarted.

Is this expected behaviour?

I just checked on my 1.6Beta4 and Im able to get guest list as well as powerstate after rebooting master and without restarting xsconsole.

Hmm.  So the behaviour might be 1.6Beta2 specific.  Looks like I need to bring forward my upgrade!