Re: [Xen-API] importing XCP 1.1 vm installed template into xcp 1.6 beta

Hi Burnie,

When you install a VM, the template is cloned, and the is-template flag
is set to false. If there is a 'disks' key in the other-config, then
vm-install will create disks as specified. If the template has VDIs
attached, then those will be copied at attached to the new VM.

Thanks for you answer. So there is no difference between a VM, a
template with attached VDI (shown with a blue icon in XenCenter), and a
template without attached VDI (shown in yellow in XenCenter).

Well, the difference between a "default template" and a "custom
template" is very subtle.

If you really want to see the difference in XC, you could try this:

# make a custom template a default template (yellow)
xe template-param-set uuid=<uuid> other-config:default_template=true

# make a default template a custom template (blue)
xe template-param-remove uuid=<uuid> param-name=other-config
param-key=default_template

thanks a lot for your input. It helped me again today. I had a strange case today with a vm having the following line other-config line :

other-config (MRW): instant: true; vgpu_pci: ; mac_seed: ea83543a-3265-11e2-a512-1eb79f66b6da; install-methods: cdrom; default_template: false; install-repository: cdrom

In the template definition, the default_template param is set to false, but it is still showing in the default template (blue one) in xencenter. Once I use the command line you highlighted and remove the param altogether, everything is fine again.

So having the default_template set to false is not enough.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon