Re: [Xen-API] importing XCP 1.1 vm installed template into xcp 1.6 beta

On 09/11/12 17:58, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> today I have tried importing vm template (ie a xcp vm with
> is-a-template=true) from XCP 1.1 into XCP 1.6 and it failed, both
> througth xencenter 6.1 and from command line. The command seems to run
> fine, and I even get a uuid back, but nothing on the server
>
> # /opt/xensource/bin/xe  -s 192.168.1.10 -u root -pw xxxxxxxxx vm-import
> filename=modele-wheezy-32bit.xva preserve=true
> 78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
>
> The transfer time seems ok. However
>
> # xe vm-list uuid=78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
> -> returns nothing.
>
> # xe template-list   uuid=78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
> uuid ( RO)                : 78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
>            name-label ( RW): modele-wheezy-32bit
>      name-description ( RW):
>
> It seems that the 1.6 import mechanism mistook my vm-template with a
> standard template...

There is no such thing as a standard template. Your template is no
different than the templates that are included with XCP.

A template is just a VM with the is-a-template flag set to true. That's
it, nothing special. It can have VDIs attached to it too.

When you install a VM, the template is cloned, and the is-template flag
is set to false. If there is a 'disks' key in the other-config, then
vm-install will create disks as specified. If the template has VDIs
attached, then those will be copied at attached to the new VM.

> My vm has a VDI defined, but it does not exist when looking directly at
> the lvm directory /dev/VG....
>
> Template import/export from 1.6 to 1.6 works fine. So this looks like a
> bug, is there anyway I could import my template into 1.6?

You already have, it seems. Try doing 'xe vm-install
template=model-wheezy-32bit new-name-label=i-hope-this-works'.

> By the way, the name template is kind of misleading, as it can be either
> a vm with is-a-template=true, or a template xen object.

As I said before, there is only one type of template, and that is just a
VM with the is-a-template key set to true. Hope this helps,

Mike