Re: [Xen-API] Last round of XCP bug squashing in Debian Wheezy, before the release

Hi Thomas,

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to fix several bugs in XCP, before the Debian 7 release. It's
> not bug free yet, but it's going into that direction. I would need some help
> to fix the remaining!
> (...)
> 3/ scripts/xe-reset-networking: How to fix #687284?
> Now, an easy question for fixing #687284. In it, we have:
> management_conf = '/etc/firstboot.d/data/management.conf'
>
> Should this be set to:
> /var/lib/xcp/firstboot.d/data/management.conf
>
> or to:
> /var/lib/xcp/firstboot.d/management.conf

On XCP, this is a file created by the host installer, containing the initial
networking configuration. I am not sure if this applies to the Debian
("Kronos") way?

> Also, the script has:
> os.system("/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/interface-rename.py
> --reset-to-install")
>
> this is CentOS specific as well. What should be done to it? What does
> interface-rename.py do in CentOS?

This is a script that deals with naming (physical) network interfaces when the
hosts starts up, and takes into account changes in the hardware (e.g. a
replaced NIC). Again, I don't think it applies to Debian, so you can just
remove the line.

> In fact, most of this scripts/xe-reset-networking has been designed for
> CentOS, and would need a full rewrite. I could try rewriting it, if someone
> tells me what's the purpose of this script.

The script is meant to completely reset the networking of your host. The main
use case is for a pool slave that got into a bad state (for whatever reason),
and is not able to communicate with the pool master anymore. Again, I am not
sure if this applies to Debian, if you'd normally configure networking outside
of xapi.

Mike, do you think xe-reset-networking is useful here at all?

>  (...)
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Cheers,
Rob