[Xen-API] can any one please clarify on this

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: kevin parker <kevin.parker092@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:43:27 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:13:55 +0000

Hi All,
          I am al ittle confused on these terms,can you please help on this.

           As per XCP documentation, "Xen Cloud Platform host is a 64 bit x86 server-class machine devoted to hosting multiple VMs."

on blog.citrix.com they are mentioning about dom0 as "It should be noted that dom0 is a 32-bit process"

i am little bit confused over these facts what is host and dom0 mentioning here.I thought dom0 is a 32 bit centos kernel and does host means xen hypervisor?

if host means hypervisor which if is based on 64 bit kernel then why it is not able to address more than 4GB for itself.

Also How is the 32 bit kernel of dom0 depends on assigning more ram to xen server/XCP (on citrix blog they are telling since dom0 is based on 32 bit kernel xen server can have memory lower than  4 GB only and rest of the ram is for assigning  vms,also if we assign more than 4GB xen server will fail!!).

From my understanding dom0 provides an interface to manage VM and XEN.Can anyone please give me a simple explanation to this.

Faithfully,
kevin Parker