Re: [Xen-API] [XCP-1.1] High OVS cpu load and unresponsive host network while VMPR archive phase is running

On Wednesday 01 August 2012 02:08:00 Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Christian Fischer <christian.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Tuesday 31 July 2012 18:08:18 Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >> Christian Fischer

> >> 180% CPU load is impossible for OVS 1.0.1, which has only a
> >> single procsss with a single thread.
> >
> > Yes, that's right, but we run OVS 1.4.2
> >
> > XCP build: 1.1.0-50674c
> > OVS build: 1.4.2
> > NICs: BCM5709 Gigabit TOE iSCSI Offload
> > OVS NIC bonding: active/active
>
> Only the as-yet-unreleased post-1.8.0 Open vSwitch has more than
> one process, and it still doesn't have multiple threads.
>
> I suppose ovsdb-server and ovs-vswitchd could both go crazy at
> the same time, but I haven't had any reports of that.
>
> What process(es) add up to 180%?

Both, server and vswitchd logs, show a lot of poll_loop entries with high CPU
usage. You can find some snippets at pastbin. Send a mail if you need the whole
logs.

ovsdb-server.log Jul 26 08:00:
http://pastebin.com/RaCRyZiz
ovs-vswitchd.log Jul 26 08:00:
http://pastebin.com/bmXJUWaT

ovs-vswitchd.log Jul 30 22:30 (180 - 230 % CPU load):
http://pastebin.com/xZykK2Ad

Sometimes there was a VSwitch Controller (Citrix) connected, but it's removed,
I'm not sure if I can use it for free or not.