[Xen-API] XenServer with DRBD / Pacemaker

  • To: XEN List <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Eross <eross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:38:28 -0300
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:39:06 +0000

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anyone has done this, or is interested, but I've been working on a side-project to create a Active/Passive VM on XenServer with DRBD and automatic fail-over using Pacemaker. I started from Linbit's instructions (ttp://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/xenserver-drbd.pdf) in Section 4 and my goal is to automate their manual fail-over process.

Today I wrote a Pacemaker resource agent for XenServer VMs based on the Xen agent. I expect it'd work just fine for XCP as well. I couldn't find one anywhere to save my life, so hopefully I didn't do that necessarily.

Thought I'd share it in case it's helpful to anyone else, so here's a link: http://download.locatrix.com/pacemaker/XenServerVM

I've tested it myself (and it passes ocf-tester), but that's a new piece of experimental code and certainly comes with no warranty.

Next step will be a resource agent for handling the DRBD SR PBD plugging, and then I'll see if I can string the whole thing together.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Eross
CTO