Re: [Xen-API] VCPUs-at-startup and VCPUs-max with NUMA node affinity

  • To: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: James Bulpin <James.Bulpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 13:39:07 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2012 12:39:09 +0000

Anil wrote:
> Is there a memory-swap operation available to exchange pages from one
> NUMA domain for pages from another? I'm thinking of a scenario where
> CPU hotplugs have led to allocated memory being on the wrong NUMA
> domain entirely.  Is the only way for the guest to resolve this by live
> migrating back to localhost so that it goes through a suspend/resume
> cycle?

Whilst a localhost migrate would do the job it needs enough spare memory on the
target node to do it. Dario Faggioli over on xen-devel is working on memory
migration primarily for rebalancing nodes but would apply here too. Using
VCPUs-max to do placement means that vCPU hotplugging would all be within a
node anyway so this shouldn't be a problem.

> Right now we see performance like this all the time (on non-NUMA Xen)
> since memory is usually allocated from a single NUMA domain; e.g. on a
> 48-core Magny-cours, notice unix domain socket latency grows worse as
> it spreads away from vCPU 0 (which also happens to be on NUMA domain
> 0); http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/ipc-
> bench/details/tmpwlnFNM.html

By non-NUMA I assume you mean numa=off, as was the default before 4.0 (or
thereabouts)? I think since then memory is striped so everybody should suffer
equally.

Cheers,
James