Re: [Xen-API] Connect to XCP/Ubuntu12.04 with Xencenter

On 14 May 2012, at 08:54, Sum Thai Wong wrote:

> I have followed this tutorial to setup the XCP toolstack (Project Kronos) on
> a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS minimal server (installed using mini.iso)
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XAPI_on_Ubuntu
>
> For network bridging, I have chosen to use the openvswitch mode. After
> installation, two bridges were automatically created(xenbr0 and xenbr1) as I
> have two ethernet interfaces (eth0 and eth1). Using the command "xe
> pif-param-list uuid=….", I checked that the first pif was designated as the
> management interface.

Does /etc/xcp/inventory exist and contain MANAGEMENT_INTERFACE='xenbr0'? If
not, see [1].

> This interface has a static IP, gateway but no DNS. The second pif was
> unconfigured. I had intended to connect with XenCenter to continue the setup
> steps to create the storage repository(SR) but the connection could not be
> created although I can ping the Xen host. The host firewall has been turned
> off.
>
> Hence I have the following questions:
> 1. Is it necessary to create the SR before I can connect with XenCenter?

No.

> 2. I can't access the network (internal and external) from Dom0 via the
> management interface. Is this by design? Do I have to setup the second
> interface for Dom0 to gain network connectivity?

Have you configured eth0 with xe pif-reconfigure-ip [2] ? Doing it manually
(e.g. in /etc/network/interfaces) won't do, as it's xcp-networkd who configures
networking after boot. Leave nothing but the loopback interface config in the
interfaces file.

Secondly, could you verify whether xenbr0 has an IP address and eth0 does not?
If eth0 is active, perform 'ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0' to remove its IP address. If
xenbr0 does not have an IP address, restart xcp-networkd and xcp-xapi, that
should help.

> 3. What user should I use to connect with XenCenter? I have tried using root,
> but is this the same account as the system root? In this case, neither my
> root password or null password work.

root will do fine.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Protip ®: You won't be able to start VM's just yet because
/etc/xen/scripts/qemu-ifup is not written for using Open vSwitch. Replace the
last line with 'ovs-vsctl add-port $2 $1' and have a go.

Wannes

[1]
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_toolstack_on_a_Debian-based_distribution#Setup_the_xensource-inventory_file
[2]