[Xen-API] xe vm-checkpoint failure

  • To: <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Hajime Inoue" <hinoue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:10:31 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 20 May 2012 03:01:44 +0000

I'm running XCP using the packages supplied with the recently released Ubuntu 12.04.
I have a small Linux HVM VM running and am trying to get vm-checkpoint working.  When
I run it without pausing the VM, it gives me the error:

  You attempted an operation on a VM which requires PV drivers to be installed but
  the drivers were not detected.

When I use vm-pause, vm-checkpoint, vm-unpause, it seems to succeed.  However, the
new VHD file in my /var/run/sr-mount isn't large enough to have recorded the VM's RAM.
snapshot-revert, obviously, does not work correctly.  Instead, it just puts the
existing VM in a halted state.

Is the vm-checkpoint generation error logged somewhere?  I couldn't find anything
definitive, except that there appear to be several "Premature termination of connection!" errors in xcp-xapi.log.

Is there a way to get vm-checkpoint working?  What are the constraints?  Do I need
a paravirt guest?

Thanks,
-Jim