Re: [Xen-API] nova-xcp-network plugin searching for a xapi0 interface

Hi Thomas,

I can probably help you somehow with Openstack networking on XenServer, as I
did some work on it in the past.
I see you are trying to use the VLAN manager, but the behaviour is not the
expected one.
However, since you can spin up instances, and they appear to be attached to the
appropriate bridge, I'd dare to say you're very close!

In a nutshell, when using the VLAN manager on XenServer:
1) A PIF identified either by (A) the vlan_interface flag or (B) the
bridge_interface column  in the networks db table will be used for creating a
XenServer VLAN network.
     The VLAN tag is found in the vlan column, still in the networks table, and
by default the first tag is 100, if my memory does not fail me.
2) VIF for VM instances within this network will be plugged in this VLAN
network. As you said, you won't see the bridge until a VIF is plugged in it.
This behaviour is the same in XS, XCP, and Kronos.
3) The 'Openstack domU', i.e. the VM running the nova network node, instead
will not be plugged into this network; since it acts as a gateway for multiple
VLAN networks, it has to be attached on a VLAN trunk. For this reason it must
have an interface on the parent bridge of the VLAN bridge where VM instances
are plugged. I realized this is quite obscure, so to cut a long story short, if
vlan_interface is eth0 it must be plugged in xenbr0, eth1 --> xenbr1, and so on
(on Kronos you might also end up with brwlan0).
4) Within the Openstack domU, 'ip link' is then used to configure VLAN
interfaces on the 'trunk' port. Each of this vlan interfaces is associated with
a dnsmasq instance, which will distribute IP addresses to instances. The lease
file for dnsmasq is constantly updated by nova-network, thus ensuring VMs get
the IP address specified by the

With this configuration, VM instances should be able to get the IP address
assigned to them from the appropriate dnsmasq instance, and should be able to
communicate without any problem with other VMs on the same network and with the
their gateway.
The above point (3) probably needs some more explanations. With Open vSwitch,
we don't really have distinct bridges for different VLANs; even if they appear
as distinct bridges to linux and xen server, they are actually the same OVS
instance, which runs a distinct 'fake-bridge' for each VLAN. The 'real' bridge
is the 'parent' of the fake one. You can easily navigate fake and real bridges
with ovs-vsctl.
As you can see I am referring to Openvswitch only. This is for a specific
reason: the fake-parent mechanism automatically imply that ports which are not
on a fake bridge are trunk ports. This does not happen with linux bridge. A
packet forwarded on a VLAN interfaces does not get back in the xenbrX bridge
for ethX.

So, coming back to your problem I would check that:
1) The XenServer network whose bridge is xapi0 is configured correctly (check
PIF, VLAN tag)
2) The Openstack domU is connected to the appropriate bridge according to the
value of vlan_interface (which seems wrong in your conf file)
3) Open vSwitch is enabled
4) Check the networks table in your database

I hope I have been exhaustive enough to not become pedant... At this point you
might wonder why this has not been documented anywhere.
Well, my answer is that it was documented, I am very sure it was. However I
cannot find the wiki page anymore. I have the sources on my laptop, and I will
make sure that VLAN networking and possibly all the other network managers on
xenapi backend are documented; including Quantum.

Regards,
Salvatore