[Xen-API] VM phase diagram

  • To: <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Uli Staerk" <Uli.Staerk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:18:20 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:15:49 -0700

Hi, I have some questions on the different VM states.

1. I tried to redraw the state diagram and adding an additional state, representing a VM that has been killed by the console command vm destroy.

Is this correct? (hint: inline img following for all the text/plain readers ;-) )

2. What exactly is the Unknown state? Are there any state changes (and api calls) to recover an VM in the Unknown state – eg. into the halted state?

3. And what happens to a VM that gets hit by the VM.destroy? Is this VM completely deleted from the known space of the xend? So afterwards there is no way to re-create it without the config?

4. What commands does the console command vm destroy exactly do? Does he destroy the machine or just put it into the halted mode?