Re: [win-pv-devel] xenbus fails to load on Win7 x64

On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 03:51:47PM +0200, 'Marek Marczykowski-Górecki' wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 11:23:40AM +0000, Paul Durrant wrote:

Ok, that was it. I've added Windows 7 configuration. Then a little
#ifdef as MmAllocateContiguousNodeMemory requires Windows 8+ (but
MmAllocateContiguousMemory does not). It builds just fine using
vs2017/WDK10.

As for build.py - right now it choose windows version based on visual
studio version. Wouldn't it be better to have it as an argument?
For my build I use slightly modified build.py - the same for all
drivers, with more parameters (driver name, target architecture, windows
version etc). SDV is broken with it, but that's offtopic here (I've run
into some weird problem there).

> > If you need to run master branch drivers on Windows 7 you can probably
> > graft the 8.2 vs2013 scripts onto the master branch code and get something
> > to build, but the intention is that master (or 9.0 as they will be when
> > they are released) drivers will only support Window 8.1 onwards as this
> > allows us to use newer kernel and storport/ndis features.
>
> So, are 9.0 drivers going to drop Windows 7 support? It is still in
> extended support (up to 2020)...
> My selfish reason is that we still have XPDM driver which don't work
> with any newer windows than 7.

Would you accept a patch adding (restoring?) Windows 7 build target?
I'll send the patches anyway in a moment, feel free to ignore them if
you don't want to keep support for Windows 7. Also, there are some
minor fixes, mostly independent of windows 7 build.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki