Re: [win-pv-devel] DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in xenbus.sys

De-htmling...

-----
From: win-pv-devel [mailto:win-pv-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Michael Stern
Sent: 11 November 2016 14:52
To: win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [win-pv-devel] DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in xenbus.sys

I'm running a Windows 2016 VM under Xen, which works great - however, the
moment I try to install Microsoft SQL Server 2016, Windows will crash with a
BSOD due to DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in xenbus.sys.

Here's what I found out:
- The bug is perfectly reproducible, it'll happen every time, and it'll happen
within seconds of the attempted install.
- If the SQL Server 2016 Setup is started while xenbus.sys is not installed,
the install works fine, but obviously the performance of the server is very
poor without the PV drivers.
- This happens with the signed drivers, and with the bleeding edge drivers.
- This is not limited to Windows 2016 and SQL Server 2016, installing the SP3
of SQL Server 2012 on a Windows 2008 Server will also result in a BSOD in
xenbus.sys.

Do you have any pointers as to what I could try? Would you be interested in a
memory dump, or some other information? I can setup a pristine Windows 2016
Server with all the files in place to cause the crash.

Host system is a Xen 4.7.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 (however keep in mind that without
the PV drivers, the install works without hiccups).
-----

Yes, please send me a memory dump if you can. Also, the drivers log to QEMU so
if you can grab the QEMU log too then that may yield more info.

Thanks,

  Paul