[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] Cannot Start Linux Paravirtualized (PV) Guests with Xen 4.2-unstable
- To: Sergey Zhukov <svg@xxxxxx>
- From: "Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:07:26 +0800
- Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Teo En Ming \(Zhang Enming\)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx>
- Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 05:08:26 +0000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=message-id:disposition-notification-to:date:from:user-agent :mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=hudEvjx2zKOIyMUNl43XMuFA7+3QWwjLE1t3W9RaKNI=; b=gIUFJE0r27oPaREByJsoJd8iYDZQzgJWag6rZo00ALRk9CcGebABUV8TAOSVyEYWgr GTwsIlDHiRTXkuxWs3jwhu+yfExbXUG/m2VC/eE/YLdJeBzvg6ZOEgTQD0daOG+rAi2q JFyS7obtuHe9pH7KKEod5dnUtuR9YUEjKKFZM2zwO/V7OfKbiQl1uVWGGxlRCBluAaVi SfuFxj3O2fsrUQ7p0NTHEJsB7FElUpmq2hwzy5en0IFjsjpkp8KSVv1LBcvLIsF9CpW4 EQEAEfJOXeOSdMr0XnR/RKAt8y5QAp1NgpoPhF5LR/JTMEbV9v+WuObuzREX7wdRiIOK 2bqQ==
- List-id: Xen user discussion <xen-users.lists.xen.org>
On 30/03/2012 05:09, Sergey Zhukov wrote:
3) When I was installing Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 Precise Pangolin amd64 as
a HVM domU in either Xen 4.1.3-rc1-pre or Xen 4.2-unstable, it hanged
at COPYING FILES during installation. Hence I have to abort the HVM
domU installation. Disk I/O performance is very poor.
4) Disk I/O performance is very poor with Debian 6.0 Squeeze PV domU
in Xen 4.2-unstable and with Fedora 16 x86-64 PV domU in Xen
4.1.3-rc1-pre. The mouse cursor movement in both Fedora 16 and Debian
6.0 Squeeze PV domU is very sluggish and unresponsive. It also takes a
long time to format filesystems and install packages in PV domU during
OS installation. What causes the performance penalty in disk I/O?
5) Disk I/O performance is also very poor with Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 HVM
domU installation. Formatting filesystems and copying files during
installation take a long time. Mouse cursor movement is also very
I installed Ubuntu 12.04 beta server (AMD 64) and xen hypervisor from
ubuntu xen packages (v4.1).
Then I installed Ubuntu 10.04 server as PV DomU and Ubuntu 10.04 desktop
as HVM DomU.
I could not enable IO virtualization, because iommu=1 and iommu=verbose
parameters seem to be not working.
Dear Sergey Zhukou,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I did not have to specify IOMMU=1 and IOMMU=verbose in my multiboot
xen.gz command line in GRUB2. IOMMU is enabled by default in Xen
sudo xl dmesg | grep 'I/O Virtualisation'
(XEN) I/O Virtualisation Enabled
When I run tests for my specific software I found, that in Ubuntu 10.04
HVM DomU there are too many interrupts when dealing with network.
Processor took about 50%si. I did not test disk IO, but think the
picture should be the same.
When I am installing Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 HVM domU, the network
connection gets disconnected and re-connected many times. Did your
installation hanged at copying files while installing Ubuntu 10.04 HVM domU?
But I found solution, which works perfect for me. I installed Ubuntu
12.04 desktop beta (i386) as PVHVM DomU. It installed without hangs and
it works very fast with network and disk.
I do not know what is PVHVM, I only know PV domU and HVM domU separately.
Only one thing looks ugly: I can't change maximal resolution of the
desktop more than 1024x768 (despite of settings stdvga=1 and
Also, I would like to know, how to enable verbose logs for iommu,
because xm dmesg does not show me any information about VT-d. I have the
(XEN) Command line: placeholder iommu=verbose
in the dmesg logs, but still not got verbose logs...
I do not know how to enable verbose logs for IOMMU.
Have you tried "sudo xl dmesg | grep VT-d"?
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Xen-users mailing list