[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: tools/ioemu/ia64.ld ?

Aron Griffis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know why xen's ioemu has its own custom linker
> script?  This was inherited from qemu, apparently contributed by
> David Mosberger over 2 years ago.  It's been patched for kvm (see

http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg10306.htm
l)
> but as far as I can see, that's essentially bringing part of it
> up to date with the default linker script in binutils.

Hi, Aron
        The fix for kvm is just for moving the code section to region 2,
and has no other purposes :)

> I'm asking about this because it's the last thing in the way of
> a clean cross build of xen tools.  You can see the build failure
> at http://markmail.org/message/zowwwfs3mdipseiv
>
> The first failure in that message is because the custom linker
> script was using the wrong library directories.  That is easily
> fixed.  The second build failure is opaque to me:
>
> ../../xenstore/libxenstore.so:
> undefined reference to `__isoc99_sscanf@xxxxxxxxx'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> However, if I comment out the linker script in the Makefile then
> the build works, and hvm domains seem to run fine built with the
> default linker script.  When I diff ia64.ld to Debian's
> /usr/lib/ldscripts/elf64_ia64.x I don't see anything significant,
> but I'm not an expert in this area.
>
> Can anybody tell me why we need this?  If not, I'll submit
> a patch to remove it.

I guess you can remove it and use the default, since ia64 arch has no
special requirment for it.
Xiantao