[Xen-ia64-devel] tools/ioemu/ia64.ld ?

Hi,

Does anybody know why xen's ioemu has its own custom linker
script?  This was inherited from qemu, apparently contributed by
David Mosberger over 2 years ago.  It's been patched for kvm (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg10306.html)
but as far as I can see, that's essentially bringing part of it
up to date with the default linker script in binutils.

I'm asking about this because it's the last thing in the way of
a clean cross build of xen tools.  You can see the build failure
at http://markmail.org/message/zowwwfs3mdipseiv

The first failure in that message is because the custom linker
script was using the wrong library directories.  That is easily
fixed.  The second build failure is opaque to me:

../../xenstore/libxenstore.so:
undefined reference to `__isoc99_sscanf@xxxxxxxxx'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

However, if I comment out the linker script in the Makefile then
the build works, and hvm domains seem to run fine built with the
default linker script.  When I diff ia64.ld to Debian's
/usr/lib/ldscripts/elf64_ia64.x I don't see anything significant,
but I'm not an expert in this area.

Can anybody tell me why we need this?  If not, I'll submit
a patch to remove it.

Thanks,
Aron