commit 10d0aa3c0a03dd04227ab3a4958563d84276d02e
Author: Tony Luck <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Mon Feb 11 13:23:46 2008 -0800

    [IA64] Fix build for sim_defconfig

Changes
- It includes binary patching functionality.
  I newly implemented psr.i related operations in assembly
  for binary patching and cleaned it up much.
- The patch is still the jumbo single patch.
- some clean up

Now the patch includes all functionalities which would be necessary
for domU. So my next step is to split it up into
  - XenLinux portability fix
    This kind of patches can be pushed to upstream independently.
  - some preliminary patches
    including import paravirt functionality
  - domU part
    - CPU paravirtualization
    - irq/iosapic
    - xen machine vector
    - time accounting
    - vDSO paravirtualization
    - fsys paravirtualization
  - other part unnecessary for domU (mainly dom0)
    This is just to keep modifications for later dom0 merge.
    - dma api, pci, ioremap, mca, kexec/kdump, xenoprof etc...

Eddie, I haven't forgotten your discussion.
I think it is necessary to get linux-ia64 people involved for
the discussion. The concrete patch is needed.
Once I split the patch up, I'll post them to linux-ia64 so that we can start
the discussion with them.
My vague idea is as follows.
- For neutral paravirtualization api, some kind of ABI is necessary.
- It would need some kind of static calling convention.
- Currently the nearest standard is PAL static calling convention.
  So far I agree with you.
- PAL static calling convention uses banked registers(r16-r31) as arguments.
  However it would be suboptimal or unsuitable for paravirtualization ABI.
  Static and non-banked registers are desirable.(at least for Xen) so
  that r9-r11, r14-r15 are desirable.

--
yamahata