RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] MINSTATE_PHYS?

Akio Takebe wrote:
> Hi, Xiantao and all
>
>> Akio Takebe wrote:
>>> Hi, Eddie and Kaz

>>> The minstate.h is a little old, it seems to be around linux-2.6.9.
>>> Current linux-xen is 2.6.18, so the code may be not nessesary.
>>> Kaz, do you know about it?
>>
>> Hi, Akio & all
>>      Attached the patch did some cleanups. Please review.
> Your patch is right. But I think those defines are left for comparing
> them with native codes.
>
> I want to confirm with xen-ia64 comunity.
> These files under arch/ia64/xen is only for xen.
> These are copys of native linux codes and a little old.
>
> So for the cleaning some files under arch/ia64/xen, we should do:
> - update them and merge the one under arch/ia64/kernel.

One of the purpose to cleanup from my point is to make the
paravirt_ops work simple. Basically we will need to look into
each changes in XenLinux tree and make sure paravirt_ops
side handle it correctly.
I assume with the pv_ops effort going on, the current xenlinux
tree will still exist for quit a long time till everything is settle
down
and switch to pv_ops. It could be 1 year even, and we can project
there are other changes in xenlinux tree, and we need to port
them back to pv_ops tree. Less changes especially removing
dead code helps for that.

> Or
> - remove CONFIG_XEN and cleanup only for xen.
>
> Do you think which we should do?

I did a whole diff scan for the directory arch/ia64, and
will do those simplification or merge one by one if people like to see
that.
This patch makes Xen/xenministate.h close to kernel/ministate.h
very much. The diff is very minor now. (in pv_ops, it could be in one
file)

[root@vti-build ia64]# diff -urN kernel/minstate.h xen/xenminstate.h
|diffstat
 xenminstate.h |  157