[Xen-users] Xen failing to boot dom0

I built Xen 4.10 from source and it appears to load correctly. Unfortunately after a brief message like "starting dom0" the device freezes completely and becomes unresponsive. The screen is blank and dom0 hasn't loaded either. I don't have a serial console to debug unfortunately.

I'm suspecting dom0 needs to be built in some special way. Until this time I have been doing this:

$ make localmodconfig
$ make xenconfig
$ make && make install

But clearly the kernel produced this way is not loading as dom0.

Could someone please tell me what is the significance of the xen-<ver>.config which is deposited by Xen in /boot?