Re: [Xen-users] Please help with the configuration of Debian 8 and Xen and networking with only one network card and multiple external IP addresses.

  • To: Christian-Josef Schrattenthaler <cjs1976@xxxxxx>
  • From: SZABO Zsolt <szazs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 08:48:40 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 07:49:44 +0000

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Christian-Josef Schrattenthaler wrote:

I have a rootserver with only one network card and 4 official (external IPs). The server runs under Debian 8. I installed the Xen of the distribution. I added the 4 IPs to the network card (like it is described in the official Debian documentation). And if I do a checkup and a test, everything seems to work fine.

Hi,
that's great for the beginning... :-)

The idea now is to create a couple of virtual servers under Xen which uses internal IP addresses (e.g. 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.5). All of the servers should be able to connect to the internet (would be cool, if I could decide which server uses which external IP address to appeare on the Internet), but only a couple of them should accept incoming request. Depending on the external IP and the used port I need to forward the request to an internal IP address of on of my virtual servers.

I tried to find the solution myself, but I got stucked. After reading a lot of manuals I don't know what would be the right way. I am completely confused about all of the possible options. I found nowhere a documentation or an Howto for this situation.

I guess that it is a routing or iptable problem...
Not quite clear how do you want to use the offcial (not local) IP-s...

I would configure the domU's with these IP addresses and then set up
corresponding iptable rules.

For the local IP-s, you could try to use ipalias (eth0:0, etc.) configured
in each domU-s, perhaps.. if it is really necessary (e.g. the domU-s are part of a LAN containing other hosts, too).

Regards,
--
sz.zs