Re: [Xen-users] libvirt in container

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 11:31 PM, bear <jilingshu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I install xen-system-amd64 in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. If I install libvirt
> on the same host, everything runs perfectly, virsh -c xen:/// can
> successfully connect to the hypervisor.
> However, when I install libvirt within a privileged docker container,
> it is impossible to connect to hypervisor, and I get error
>
> internal error: libxenlight state driver is not active
>
> I am very sure KVM works in this configuration, but Xen just failed
> for unknown reason.
> Any suggestions?

libxl needs to be able to do ioctls on /proc/xen/privcmd to be able to
actually control Xen.  It's likely that this is not being exposed in
the docker container (which causes the libvirt libxl driver not to
load, which causes the error message above).  If you find the magic
runes which can allow the container to access this file, then it
should work.

But of course you can leverage access to this file into complete
control of the whole system (since the toolstack needs to map
arbitrary host memory in order to do its job); which leads to the
question: What exactly are you trying to do by putting libvirt into a
container?

 -George