Re: [Xen-users] Migrating legacy guests from Xen 3.4 to 4.4

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 23:48 +0100, Peter Braun wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have couple of really old Xen hosts running Xen 3.4 (gitco repo) with
> CentOS 5 dom0.
>
> Guests are PV and mostly old OSes like Debian 6 and CentOS 5.
>

> We are planning of migrating the guest to brand new hardware with Debian
> 8 or Ubuntu 14 server.
>
> Unfortunatelly we are unable to run any of those old guest in the new
> envrionment.

Are you able to run any new guests, or any guests at all? i.e. is it just
the old imported guests which are the problem?

> Debian 8 + Xen 4.4.1 + lvm based guest Debian 6 with 2.6.32 kernel
>
> ---------
>
> xenconsole: Could not open tty `': No such file or directory

This seems to suggest an issue with the xenconsole daemon (which should
have written the tty to xenstore for the client to use).

Is xenconsoled running?

> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â libxl: error:
> libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: console child [0] exited
> with error status 2
> Â Â Â libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:35:libxl__domain_type: unable to get
> domain type for domid=6
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Unable to attach console
> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â libxl: error:
> libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: console child [0] exited
> with error status 1
>

> ------
>

> #bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
> bootloader = "pygrub"
> #extra = "console=hvc0"
> #vcpus = 1
> memory = 512
> name = "sec"
> #vif = [ 'vifname=sec' ]
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg/sechd,sda1,w','phy:/dev/vg/secswp,sda2,w' ]
>
> root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
>

> ----
>
> Generally is it supported to run such old pv guests on Xen 4.4?

In general yes, and Debian 6 (squeeze) with a 2.6.32 is not so very old
that I would expect problems.

In fact we test Squeeze as a domU on a weekly basis (against Xen unstable)
and in general it is fine, e.g.
    http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-01/msg03466.html

Is the 2.6.32 kernel in these guests up to date with the latest in Squeeze
(3.2.68-1+deb7u3 orÂ3.2.73-2+deb7u2 from the security repo for example)?

It would be useful to see the logs (see [0] for examples of where to look
and what to include) as well as the full output of:
    xl -vvv create <cfgfile>

Ian.

[0]Âhttp://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen