[Xen-users] How to set up trivial shared-memory buffer between VMs (on ARM) ?

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chris (Christopher) Brand" <chris.brand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:20:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:21:32 +0000

Hi,

I want to set up a simple shared-memory buffer between two VMs on my ARM system.

I was looking at the passthrough stuff, hoping that that might work, but it does seem tightly coupled to the use of an IOMMU, which my system doesn’t have. (https://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/talk_5.pdf was very helpful for exploring this path, BTW). It’s fairly trivial to move a block of RAM from the memory node to “device” node in the devicetree for Xen, which makes it available to Dom0, but how can I then share it with another VM ?

For context, I have an existing Linux kernel driver that I want to try out under Xen. I suspect that the best way to do so is to migrate it to use virtio, but for now I just need to get it running as quickly as possible, so I’d like to minimize the changes needed.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. Please move the devel list if that’s more appropriate