[Xen-users] How do *you* go about sizing dom0 RAM?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 11:42:20 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 22 May 2015 11:43:29 +0000

Hello,

I'm just going through the process of a hardware refresh and I was
wondering if it might be time to re-evaluate how much memory is
dedicated to dom0. That got me wondering how other people approach
this.

So, how do you do it? If you have some sort of formula would you
mind sharing it? Or if it's based up on a quite simple static value
then your reasoning would be interesting to me.

Personally based on:

    http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance#Memory

and the fact that my dom0s don't do much except mediate IO for PV
domains, I give them all 1G RAM each regardless. It may be time to
increase that to 2G purely on the basis that the next refresh will
pack a lot more memory in the box, but that's probably as far as I
would go.

If you would like to tell me off-list then I will be happy to
summarise the answers.

Cheers,
Andy