[Xen-users] xenconsole: Could not open tty

I have a problem with a guest VM that has broken mount point in its fstab, so I'm trying to boot a guest in to single user mode with this:

xl create -c myguest.pv 'extra="single"'

(I've also tried just editing the grub kernel command line and suffixing single or 1 or S on the end, and using the recovery console grub menu option instead, but every time I get the same outcome as below).

I see the grub screen okay, but once it has passed the timeout and starts to boot the kernel, I get the following message send to my terminal:

--- 8< ---
xenconsole: Could not open tty `': No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: console child [0] exited with error status 2
--- 8< ---

A few seconds later I do get output on my terminal again, but the console does not appear to accept any of my inputs to press either S or M as per the prompting output:

--- 8< ---
* Starting set console font [ OK ] * Stopping set console font [ OK ] * Starting userspace bootsplash [ OK ]
An error occurred while mounting /var/lib/munin.
keys:Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery
* Stopping userspace bootsplash [ OK ] * Starting Send an event to indicate plymouth is up [ OK ] * Stopping Send an event to indicate plymouth is up [ OK ]
--- 8< ---

So, I have a couple of questions.

1. What is causing this xenconsole: Could not open tty error? How do I fix it? Is it related to me not being able to type input in to my guest VM console after grub?

2. How on earth do I successfully get a single user mode boot on this guest VM so that I can correct its fstab and get it to boot properly?

The parent hypervisor host is headless, running Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty. Details below:

--- 8< ---
root@host:/# dpkg -l | grep xen
rc grub-xen 2.02~beta2-9ubuntu1 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (Xen version) ii libxen-4.4 4.4.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 amd64 Public libs for Xen ii libxenstore3.0 4.4.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 amd64 Xenstore communications library for Xen ii xen-hypervisor-4.4-amd64 4.4.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 amd64 Xen Hypervisor on AMD64 ii xen-tools 4.4-1 all Tools to manage Xen virtual servers ii xen-utils-4.4 4.4.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 amd64 XEN administrative tools ii xen-utils-common 4.4.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 all Xen administrative tools - common files ii xenstore-utils 4.4.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 amd64 Xenstore utilities for Xen
root@host:/# uname -a
Linux host 3.13.0-44-generic #73-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 16 00:22:43 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@host:/# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    14.04