Re: [Xen-users] shared local partition/storage between VMs on same PC

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jiri 'Ghormoon' Novak <ghormoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:47:58 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:49:11 +0000

Hi,

in my experience, generally performance loss is worse in NFS on windows than SMB on linux, so if I share something like this between both linux and windows (eg. my home NAS) I prefer SMB (v3). though my best so far was 60-70MB/s sequential over 1gbit lan (you can check how fast your network between guests is and guess the result from that).

Regards,
Gh.

Peter Kay wrote:
Is NFS the fastest option for sharing a partition between two VMs, one Windows, the other Unix based - or is SMB just as good?

This data does not need to be externally accessed. Any method is fine, as long as it's fast, read/write and works on a backend LVM partition.

Obviously there will be some slowdown, even using a virtual NIC on both host and guest, but is it that significant?

I can test it myself, of course, but I can hardly be the first person to try it.