Re: [Xen-users] Comparing approcahes firewall on a Xen server. Any experience or recommendations?

On 2015-04-22 16:05, Adam Goryachev wrote:
That depends... what is your WAN bandwidth? I would guess it is less
than 100Mbps,

Currently, 50Mbps

which should have little impact assuming you are using any
reasonably modern CPU/network card etc...

On the WAN interface, clear.  On the LAN ...

The other factor is LAN traffic, but if you are sharing the LAN
interface for multiple domU, then you can't use PCI passthrough anyway.

Right, depends on the topology.

A pass of the Dom0 bridge via VIF certainly can be shared -- but that's obviously not "pci-passthrough".

A second pci-passthru, like I mention here

http://sourceforge.net/p/shorewall/mailman/shorewall-users/thread/7c35a8e5c7ba1dc483e6d358976a0f74%40vfemail.net/#msg33960959

avoids the sharing altogehter.

Alsom PCI passthrough will add complexity that you probably don't need
right now.

passthru with current Xen's xl toolstack's dynamic assignment is quite trivial. easy to configure and works well. so far anyway.

There are a number of HVM-only (or, at least not easily PV'd) firewall
appliances which might be nice to use.  Wondering out loud about
performance issues of firewall in DomU ...

I'm assuming you would use some sort of "modern" Linux OS for the domU,
and therefore use PV. Note by modern I mean a linux kernel of 3.2.x or
newer, which is actually rather old...

Not necessarily.

I typically use opensuse for DomU. It is certainly a 'modern' kernel -- i use 3.18.x for now; 4.0.0 is already available. It's just not pvops -- it's their 'kernel-xen' flavor, which addresses a number of issues still not available (but being worked on) missing/broken in pure, upstream pvops.

Also, not all 'appliances' ship PV-ready.