Re: [Xen-users] Booting pv-ready distro installer.iso as Xen PV DomU drops to grub prompt?

On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 06:14 -0700, lyndat3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I'm also not entirely sure if the linuxefi/initrdefi commands will
> > support launching a PV kernel, since they likely expect an EFI image.
> > During the install I would expect the distro to notice that you aren't
> > running EFI and for the installed system to end up with the non-EFI
> > stanzas in grub.cfg. Or maybe linuxefi is smart enough to fallback to
> > the other method if the given file isn't an EFI PE image, that would be
> > rather useful.
>
> Fwiw I AM running an EFI box.  The Dom0 is booted to EFI.  I'm
> guessing that that's nonsensical for a DomU, and that THAT is what
> should be "noticed"?

DomU is completely isolated from Dom0/host as far as any of this stuff
is concerned, the guest sees none of the host level stuff here.

> > > (1) How do I get the DomU config to recognize the configfile without
> > > forcing a visit to the grub prompt?
> >
> > Passing it on the guest command line might work (it did with pvgrub1,
> > not sure about 2).
> >
> > If not then the path needs to be baked into the grub binary you are
> > using, i.e. by passing appropriate parameters to grub-mkimage when you
> > make your grub.xen.
>
> I had tried building my own binary
>
> grub2-mkimage -v \
>  -O x86_64-xen \
>  -c /home/lt/tmp/grub-bootstrap.cfg \
>  -m /home/lt/tmp/memdisk.tar \
>  -o /home/lt/tmp/grub-x86_64-xen.bin \
>  /usr/lib/grub2/x86_64-xen/*.mod
>
> The binary is created but that, too, fails to properly launch the PV guest
> from the iso.
>
> BUT, iiuc, this ^^ is where I'd need to
>
>   "ensure that you included those modules into the grub image (i.e. list them
> when running grub-mkimage)."
>
> I'll get that how of that figured out and give it a try.

There is some sort of grub helper with standalone in the name (can't
remember exactly what right now) which I think is a kitchen sink variant
of grub-mkimage -- might be the easiest approach.

> What does work is to launch the iso in HVM mode, install the guest as
> an HVM DomU, then *convert* HVM -> PV.  That DomU is up & dunning
> right now ...  But it's a pain to get to. Hoping with this ^^ advice
> to get further on this.

Right, I'd have expected that path to work, but it isn't as convenient
as you say.