Re: [Xen-users] import VMDK into Xen

On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 12:25 +0000, Colin Durrant wrote:
> It is practically impossible to google as I have a Xen project
> environment and not a Xen Citrix environment. I donât understand what
> crosses over? They are completely different setups and I assume that
> citrix xen commands will not work in a Xen project environment? You
> canât use Citrix xencentre to connect to a xen project server?

That's right, if xencentre is involved then it doesn't apply to the
upstream xen project stuff, only to xenserver.

I've never tried it, but I'd start by investigating the qemu-img tool
(from upstream qemu, Xen installs it in $libdir/
xen/bin/qemu-img) to convert your VMDK to something more useful, like a
qcow2 file, which Xen can then read.

I'm not sure if qdisk might not just work with a vmdk, might be worth
checking though.

For googling purposes the file format conversion process would be the
same for QEMU/KVM/Xen. e.g.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02946277 looks
plausible to me.