Re: [Xen-users] How does domU memory allocation work?

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Marco Guazzone
<marco.guazzone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 21, Marco Guazzone wrote:
>>
>>> Could you explain how it works?
>>
>> I cant, but this drawing may help:
>>
>> http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/staging/xen-unstable.hg/file/default/docs/misc/libxl_memory.txt
>>
>> Olaf
>
> Thank you, Olaf.
>

> I can understand the various blocks (except for "extra internal" and
> "extra external"), but unfortunately I'm unable to relate them with
> the numbers I showed in the first email.
> For instance, I would say that the output of xenstore-ls reports is
> related to the figure in the following way:
> - "static-max" field: "baloon"+"guest"+"video" blocks,
> - "target" field: "guest" block (that is, "build target" +/- "baloon")
> - "videoram" field: "video" block
>
> Instead, I'm really confused by the output of "xl top"
>
> Any idea?
>
> Cheers,

Also,

Given the above scenario, that is:

* xenstore-ls:
    static-max = "3145728"
    target = "3137536"
     videoram = "8192"
*  xl top:
     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k) MAXMEM(%)
     3141600        3.1         3146752              3.1

If now I try to set the same amount of memory reported by "xl top"
with the command:

xl mem-set testvm 3141600k

now  I get:

* xenstore-ls:
    static-max = "3145728"
    target = "3133408"
     videoram = "8192"
*  xl top:
     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k) MAXMEM(%)
     3137472        3.1         3142624              3.1

As before the "target" field in xenstore is clear to me: 3141600k
(that is the value I've just set) minus the video ram
But, the output of "xl top" is not clear. In both cases (that is,
before and after setting the memory) the difference between the values
reported by "xl top" and "xenstore-ls" is 4064

Cheers,

-- Marco