Re: [Xen-users] Cheap IOMMU hardware and ECC support importance

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:10:36 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:11:07 +0000

On 06/29/2014 08:44 AM, lee wrote:
Kuba <kuba.0000@xxxxx> writes:

Each time data is read from the disk, it is checksummed and the
checksum is compared with the value stored with the data. This way you
know whether data you just read is good or not, not just that it had
been written correctly. Take a look here for example, slides 12-16:

http://wiki.illumos.org/download/attachments/1146951/zfs_last.pdf

It's a little bit outdated and Solaris-centric, but might give you
some overview.

Still very interesting, thanks :)  I think I should learn more about
it.  Does it still need fuse, and can you boot from it?

There is a fuse implementation, but it is somewhat abandoned these days. I still use it on my 32-bit systems (e.g. ARM) because ZoL doesn't play well on 32-bit platforms due to lack of kernel virtual memory space which the original Solaris ZFS implementation that most others are based on uses copiously.

You _can_ boot from it if you _really_ want to, but you have to patch grub to make it work and personally I wouldn't recommend it, although many people over on the ZoL mailing list use it. I prefer my rootfs on ext4 since it makes certain recovery modes easier, and the rootfs is small and easy enough to back up and restore and sees very little activity after booting on most of my servers. I don't think booting of it is worth the extra complication.