Re: [Xen-users] xen-4.4.0 and (nic) assigned mac address errors

On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 15:44 -0400, squidmobile@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> greetings,
>
> >> got a tsc mode string: "default"
> >> libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus:
> >> /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge online [-1] exited with error status 1
>
> >This script is failing somehow. Have you modified it from the default at
> >all?
>
> i checked when i got there.  no changes.
>
> >You might find some more clues in /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log or you
> >may need to add additional debug to the script.
>
> it said a LOT of times:
>   RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
> i think this might be a kernel compile option i disabled.  does xen
> REALLY need this?

No, and I think those particular messages are benign if you don't have
the kernel feature enabled.

> /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log said:
>   device vif43.1 is already a member of a bridge; can't enslave it
>   to bridge ...
> which raises the question of
>   if this is the xl create process, how could the vif already
>   belong to a bridge?

Xen used to rely on udev to call the hotplug scripts but more recently
switched to having the toolstack do it directly. I don't remember if
that was in 4.3 or 4.4.

When that switch was made the scripts were modified to gate calls made
via udev, see xen-hotplug-common.sh which should have near the top:
        # Hack to prevent the execution of hotplug scripts from udev if the
domain
        # has been launched from libxl
        if [ -n "${UDEV_CALL}" ] && \
           xenstore-read "libxl/disable_udev" >/dev/null 2>&1; then
            exit 0
        fi

Do your scripts have that? If you have an older version of the scripts
installed then you might find that both udev and xl are running the
script.

You should check that xen-backend.rules is up to date too. It should be
setting UDEV_CALL = 1 when invoking the scripts.